The Science Department is on an exciting journey of improving academic performance within an engaging and inclusive environment.
Hanson Science Department is a large department consisting of 18 staff (including 3 technicians) delivering across the full age range 11-19.
- Director of Science – Mr S Todd
- Deputy Director of Science – Miss G Strecker
- Deputy Director of Science – Miss S Moss
- Curriculum Lead Key Stage 4 – Mr M Inglis
- Curriculum Assistant Key Stage 4 – Mr R Crum
- Curriculum Lead Key Stage 5 – Miss S Etherington
- Curriculum Assistant Key Stage 3 – Mr R Cheshire
- Lead Teacher for Intervention – Miss F Sheikh
The department is well resourced with a wealth of opportunities to incorporate the use of ICT. There are 18 dedicated Science laboratories all with interactive whiteboards. We have two technicians’ rooms and a fabulous team of 3 Science Technicians. The Science department prides itself on delivering high quality practical lessons in a stimulating and purposeful environment.
All students are taught Science in ability sets across two bands. At KS4 all students must take combined Science but we offer separate Science from Year 10 onwards. We have over 100 students currently following the separate Science Pathway, and many go on to study Biology, Chemistry, and Physics at KS5. Applied Science is another option offered by the Science department at Hanson. The course is extremely popular and has provided many students with an alternative pathway into further education.
The Science department at Hanson prides itself on it.